Saturday, April 12, 2014

Willing and Able

A famous saying...God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

In the garden of Gethsemene, Jesus called His disciples to watch and pray. I have a always been disappointed in them, but convinced I could do no better at the same time. But surely someone could, right?

But when I think of what Jesus was wrestling with, I know that the power to live out faith was dependent on His willingness to continue as the Son of Man through the suffering of the cross and not to mention the rejection of His Father for the sake of the world. 

When He saw His disciples, I wonder if He was reminded that unless He did the will of the Father, we would never go from willing and unable to willing and able.

Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!” (Matthew 26:41 NLT)

In the wrestling of Jesus, Matthew accents the question change...

He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” (Matthew 26:39 NLT)

Jesus checks on the disciples and sees their weakness.

Then Jesus left them a second time and prayed, “My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done.” (Matthew 26:42 NLT)

In their weakness, He still looked on them with love. Thank You, Jesus!

James 3:18,
Camelot

No comments:

Post a Comment