Monday, December 16, 2013

A Great Man

"As far as the Lord is concerned, he [John] will be a great man." Luke 1:15

The angel Gabriel described John in Luke 1:17. "He will go ahead of the Lord with the spirit and power that Elijah had. He will change parents' attitudes toward their children. He will change disobedient people so that they will accept the wisdom of those who have God's approval. In this way he will prepare the people for their Lord."

I understand the concept of preparing people for their Lord. People have to understand themselves as sinners before they see the need for a Savior. But the question I have been contemplating is how will he change parents' attitudes toward their children?

Later on in Luke 1 when John is born, verse 66 reads, "Everyone who heard about it seriously thought it over and asked, 'What does the future hold for this child?'

As I was mulling this over in my mind I realized that the Jewish people took being God's people for granted. With their sense of ownership there is also a lack of hope because of the loss of need.

But now that John arrives on the scene preaching repentance, the sinking realization of sin in our lives and in the lives of our children sets us up for the Light of the World, the Hope of Salvation, the Prince of Peace.

Lord, may my realization of my great need increase all the more so that I can live my life repeating John 3:30, "You must increase and I must decrease." Fill my need and the need of my family today, O Great Savior of the World. Amen.

James 4:14,
Camelot

No comments:

Post a Comment