Friday, December 6, 2013

Christmas, Vacations, Birthdays, and Reality

For me other than the actual age I am approaching, this week has been full of anticipations. Last night I drove home knowing that we are in the darkest time of the year and I was so encouraged by the Christmas lights. I do not think they have inspired me to tears like that since I was a child. With Christmas approaching, my family is going on a much needed vacation to one of my favorite vacation spots and it is my birthday. I have so many "things" to be thankful for. On top of this I found out my mom was going to be able to come for Christmas this year. So as you can imagine my heart is swelling and I am giddy about the next few weeks. Then...

I meet with a lady who is in her darkest moments of life. Her reality is very different on this day, this month, this year even. Her relationships are failing because well people are people. Miscommunication is almost insurmountable and she is not even good at that when it is good. She says she is done trying. The only thing that she wants is for people to leave her alone to her own remedy. But she knows Him. She knows Jesus. She may have lost sight of His truth amidst a sea of confusion, but she loves Him.

It got me thinking about how we say "Happy" Thanksgiving, but we say "Merry" Christmas. Happy is for me always denotes circumstances. We can come up with all things if we search for them to be thankful for, but Christmas is different...it is not about our circumstances even a little bit. While Thanksgiving is about who we are grateful to and for and for what, Christmas is about Joy. Merry Christmas is not something you look for in outward circumstances, but rather in the midst of the circumstances, He is the light that shines.

So even though according to my friends I have rehashed all that I am excited about somewhat sarcastically and playfully this week. These circumstances are not Christmas. And even though my sister in Christ is experiencing more than she thinks she can, the conclusion that emerged in our conversation is the Merry "Joy" of Christmas...

HE CAME...that so that His sheep will have life and so that they will have everything they need. John 10:10

 
"Come close to God, and God will come close to you." James 4:8








James 4:14,
Camelot

No comments:

Post a Comment