Wednesday, September 25, 2013

You Are What You Eat, Your Children Are What You Feed Them

My daughter has heard me on occasion say, "You are what you eat." I can just imagine her patting my belly saying, "Obviously". O my sweet, sweet daughter. :) Usually when I say that it has more to do with our spiritual life, like "You are fruit of the tree you hang around." Ahh those choice morsels from a loving parent. Well ok the sayings do not go over as well now that she is 17.

However in light of what was on my heart yesterday and what I have been chewing on (not physically, intellectually and spiritually :) ) The people and experiences that define or form me leads me to think about the people and experiences that formed and is forming my daughter. I feel like my time to be an extremely influential part of her forming is almost gone. Wow that was quick, I have been told that the time really ended about 5 years ago, in some cases ignorance is bliss.

In doing research for a class taught by Dr. Dean Blevins, I came across some information that I wish I could email to myself about 17 years back.

It is probably more important to start with the questions so that I can see where my answers line up.

How are we carrying out the The Great Commission to our primary disciples?

What are the principles behind faith?
1. How faith if formed?
2. Who is partnering with me?
3. Where is Christ in the lives of my children?
4. What is faith's primary influence-er?
5. What is my primary goal for my child? How do I begin and continue that path?
What are the primary activities that form faith in children?

What are the characteristics of faith and what characteristics do I look for as evidence of faith in my children?

I plan to share and answer these questions a little more in depth with the parents of young children this Sunday. While my time as influence-er is almost up in some ways, I have been told that you never stop being a parent, so I am excited about what this means in my home and in our lives.

Read this in light of parenting, a true commission of God...
2 Corinthians 4:1-2 (The Message)
"Since God has so generously let us in on what he is doing, we’re not about to throw up our hands and walk off the job just because we run into occasional hard times. We refuse to wear masks and play games. We don’t maneuver and manipulate behind the scenes. And we don’t twist God’s Word to suit ourselves. Rather, we keep everything we do and say out in the open, the whole truth on display, so that those who want to can see and judge for themselves in the presence of God."

My husband reminds me and tells God in his prayers frequently that we dedicated our little girl to God early on...

Lord, Continue to capture the attention and affection of my one and only daughter by Your grace. In the Name of Your one and only Son, Jesus. Amen.

If you have about 5 minutes and want to smile and laugh, watch this video promoting a children's book.
      Kids Talk About God


No comments:

Post a Comment