Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Reverse the Flow

Sometimes you need to reverse the flow of your life. Whatever you want to call it... a mini-vacation, a time-out, a pause, a retreat. Read 1 Kings 19:3-8:
Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep.
All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” He looked around, and there by his head was some bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.
The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you.” So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God.
I am not claiming to have had the roughest week, because I know that there are others that I could name right now that are on my heart this morning. Those who have certainly suffered more pain, anguish, and fear over the last week than me. But this week has been one of the roughest I have had personally in a long time. On Saturday afternoon, I knew it was time... I had to reverse the flow.

I had a pool growing up and we used to have to backwash the pool. We did this when the filter would become overwhelmed with stuff. We would have to disconnect the filter hose from the pool and reverse the flow of the water.

Sometimes this is the kind of rest I need. Not the rest the God gives me day in and day out in His Presence as He promised. You know the eternal peace and rest that is promised in Hebrews 4 to all of those who live in open, up close, personal relationship to God the Father. No I  am talking about the I am overwhelmed with stuff and I am physically and emotionally tired kind of rest.

So I reversed the flow for a few days. The scripture says that an angel came to Elijah, I have a lot of angels, those that see me, know me and look out for me. They are praying, thinking in advance to cover for me, setting aside time to help me. Wow! Holy Spiritual Community is great! This week I get to go to women's retreat and even though I have a little responsibility, because of the community there it will not be anything but pure joy and encouragement.

As you can read and see, it seems that flow is back in place and I am online again. I guess the one reminder from my pool days is no one is allowed in the pool until the filter is plugged back in. Don't stay reversed, there is no joy in it, the joy comes in giving yourself away in accordance with what God has purposed you for. And besides, I love to swim.

James 4:14,
Camelot

No comments:

Post a Comment